Now on to day four in my quest to discover if organic foods can be affordable. During this week I am doing a lot of reflecting on how I purchase, prepare and eat food. I remember when I was fresh out of college and living on my own, I would spend almost $100 a week on food. That was just for MYSELF. Now I spend about $100 (including milk and meat) for our family of four. Difference is now I plan, choose very high quality products and make complete homemade meals. We hardly have any junk food in our house and include lots of fruits and veggies that fill us up.
Let us see how today went.
Breakfast: I know that I stated in my post yesterday that I try to avoid organic cereal. It is usually really expensive. I have found an exception. At Sam’s Club you can by a 35oz box of Nature’s Path Organic cereal for $7.48. We use cold cereal for those mornings when we just want to eat now. Today was one of those days. We had cereal (organic $7.48/35oz), milk (organic $4.50/gallon), green tea (organic $3.37/box) and the last of those peaches (organic $3.79/lb).
- Cereal $2.07
- Milk $1.25
- Peach $3.00
- Green Tea $0.21
- Total: $6.55 or $1.63 per person
Lunch: Today I made homemade pizza. Pizza is a favorite of ours and I always make the crust. I use a recipe from Allrecipes.com. It makes three crusts, so you can bake them all and have two left over to top another day. With this meal we also had milk.
- 2.5 tsp yeast (I buy bulk $0.09)
- 1 tbs sugar (Crystal sugar $0.01)
- 2.5 cups water (freeish)
- 2 tbs olive oil (organic $0.13)
- 1 tbs salt ($0.03)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (organic $0.16)
- 5.5 cups bread flour (local $0.38)
- subtotal for crust $0.8/3 crusts or $0.27 per crust
- Green Pepper (organic $3.79/lb) ($1.23 for one)
- Tomato Paste (organic $1.42/can) used about $0.35
- Zweber Farm pork sausage ($2.03/lb) used about $1.02
- Mushrooms (organic $3.00/lb) used about $.75
- Mozzarella cheese (organic $3.99/6oz) used $2.00
- Milk $1.25
- Total for lunch: $6.87 or $1.72 per person.
Whoot! The best part is that we had enough left over pizza for dinner. So dinner only cost us $1.25 ($0.31/person) for the fresh farm milk.
Today’s grand total: $14.67 or $3.66 per person.
Can you believe it? I think that I am on to something here. Organic food is looking very affordable to me.
Zweber Farms is a 4th generation family operated organic dairy. We also specialize in sustainably raised beef, pork and chicken and sell it directly to customers in Minnesota.Visit our website to learn more, http://www.zweberfarms.com