Today was a lovely day at the Zweber Farm. You cannot ask for a better March day then 55 degrees and sunny. On days like these I don’t want to spend all day inside cooking. I want to be out playing with my boys or getting some work done on the farm.
Today after lunch I wiped up a batch of homemade yogurt. Yes, homemade yogurt is really easy to make. All you need is two quarts of milk (Don’t use Ultra Pasteurized) and a tablespoon of plain yogurt. I buy Stoneyfields single serve plain yogurt. Even though Organic Valley doesn’t produce a yogurt, some of our milk is sent to Stoneyfield to be made into yogurt.
- Heat milk in large pot until it reaches 180 degrees
- Cool milk to 112 degrees
- mix a couple tablespoons of milk with tablespoon of plain yogurt
- Add the yogurt mix and the remaining milk to your yogurt maker and wait 6-10 hours
I have read on the internet that you can make yogurt in the oven too. The whole point of the maker is to keep the milk at a constant warm temperature.
Now I have great tasting yogurt all week. I will add some honey or fruit to my bowl of yogurt each morning.
For supper tonight I made a Pantry Stir Fry. I call it “pantry” because when I make stir fry I just look to see what is in my pantry and add to my heart’s content. Stir Fry isn’t tricky and is super fast and healthy. When you order your Zweber Farms beef, make sure to order some stir fry meat. You can also cut up a round steak or a sirloin steak.
Here is what I did tonight
- Cut up veggies. I used a green pepper, some green onions, carrots and snow peas.
- Heated up 1 tbs oil in wok
- Added half the beef (you want fry half the beef at a time so it doesn’t stew) and 1 garlic clove minced
- Cooked for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly
- Transferred beef to bowl
- Added other half of beef and other garlic clove minced
- Cooked for 3 minutes then transferred to bowl
- Added veggies to wok and cooked
This is where the pantry part comes in. I added a dash for ground ginger, pinch of salt, a dash of sugar, 2 splashes fish sauce, 1 splash rice vinegar, and 4 splashes soy sauce. Taste as you work and don’t be afraid.
- After veggies are crisp-tender, add the meat back in and stir until heated.
Serve this over warm rice and of course with a large glass of Organic Valley Milk.
Tomorrow is suppose to be another warm and sunny day. Spend time outside and enjoy a quick healthy stir fry meal. It is also Steven’s 21st birthday! Happy early birthday Steve.
Zweber Farms is a 4th generation family operated organic dairy. We also specialize in sustainably raised beef, pork and chicken and sell it directly to customers in Minnesota.Visit our website to learn more, http://www.zweberfarms.com