After a long drive back from the young farmer conference we attended this weekend, I was grateful that my mother volunteered to cook us supper and meet us at our home. As a bonus she and my dad offered to watch the boys while I went to the farm and did evening chores.
My mother made us a childhood staple: Grandma’s Casserole. We don’t know who’s grandma this recipe belongs to, but now that my mom makes it for her grandchildren it is fitting.
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1lb Zweber Farms ground beef
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 qt tomato juice
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz egg noodles
- 8 oz Organic Valley mozzarella cheese graded
- Saute onion and green pepper in butter or oil, add hamburger and brown.
- Add all the other ingredients except cheese and noodles
- Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes
- In a 9×13 baking dish, alternate in layers sauce, noodles, and cheese, ending with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
Last night we just threw a steam bag of carrots in the microwave, reheated some frozen bread from Schwans and served with a glass of Organic Valley milk.
See other Hunk of Meat Monday recipes at the Beyer Beware Blogspot.
Zweber Farms is a 4th generation family operated organic dairy. We are proud Organic Valley farmer members and sell our milk under that label. We also specialize in sustainably raised beef, pork and chicken and sell it directly to customers in Minnesota.Visit our website to learn more, www.zweberfarms.com. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.