- 1 lbs Zweber Farm chicken
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beans
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1tsp chili powder
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 ground black pepper
- 1/2 kosher salt
Heat oil in stockpot. Brown chicken with garlic. Add the rest of ingredients and bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve with a dollop of Organic Valley sour cream and a handful of Organic Valley cheddar cheese. Yummy!
Jen’s Simple Roast Chicken
Jen is our part time milker. She is always good for baked goodies and keeps us laughing with all her funny stories.
Preheat oven to 425
Use a heavy roasting pot, like a la cruet – you need a cover
- 1 beautiful whole Zweber Farm chicken
- 1 or 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme or even sage – but it has to be fresh
- A little butter
- A little olive oil
- Salt – Kosher – never, ever table salt like Morton
- whole head of garlic
Wash, and dry chicken and “contain” the legs the way you like best. Some people use string, I just tuck the wings under and tie the legs together.
Run you fingers under the breast between the skin and flesh. Place a Tablespoon or so of butter under there and a good chunk of your favorite fresh herb – both sides of the breast.
Stuff the extra (swig or two) in the cavity of the bird along with a lemon (cut in half) and a head of garlic (cut in half – don’t even bother taking the paper skin off the garlic). Salt and pepper the outside and the inside of the bird. Don’t be shy with the salt. Place breast down in a heavy roasting pot which has a little olive oil on the bottom.
I roast on this high temp for about 25 minutes – uncovered. I then take the roaster out, check with a meat thermometer to see how long I have left. I turn the oven down to 350 and usually go another 20 minutes – covered this time. Chicken is done at 180. I use the meat thermometer – not the wiggly leg test – and I don’t check the breast – I check deep in the leg or thigh. Juices should run clear. Let your chicken sit in the pot for at least 15 minutes covered for the best juicy roasted flavorful chicken in the world.
Golden Chicken Bake
- 1 cup biscuit mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- dash pepper
- 1 fryer chicken, cut up (Zweber Farms’ chicken is the best)
- 1/2 cup butter (use Organic Valley if you have it)
Combine biscuit mix, salt, paprika and pepper in a paper bag; one at a time, put chicken pieces in bag and shake to coat. Melt butter in baking dish; arrange chicken pieces in dish. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 1 hour, reducing heat to 375 for the last 10 minutes. Juices should run clear when done. You may want to cover with tin foil if the chicken is getting too brown.
Just boil some potatoes to mash, serve with a salad and a cold glass of Organic Valley milk.
Roasted Chicken with Artichoke Hearts-by Emily
- 1 Zweber Farms whole chicken cut into six pieces
- 2 cans artichoke hearts
- lemon juice
- Place chicken pieces on a aluminum foil lined jelly roll pan. Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain artichoke cans and place artichokes around chicken
- sprinkle with 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Roast in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes
- Reduce heat to 350 and roast for another 15 minutes
- Make sure internal temp of chicken reads 175 degrees
Enjoy with a tall glass of Organic Valley milk